Saturday, March 14, 2009

Good News Not Enough

A friend of my wife's asked her if I was being less gloomy about the economy since the stock market started to go up a few hundred points. "Not a bit of it" my wife told Kathy. And why would I be? The fundamentals haven't changed one bit. Trade, credit and business fundamentals are in the toilet the whole world over and just because Citigroup and Bank of America claim a profitable quarter doesn't mean a thing. especially since these crooks took billions in taxpayer dollars to prop up their dysfunctional institutions and both corporations have a history of doing little better than cooking the books.
.
The Federal government has to be tired of getting financial advice from everyone everywhere but they know what needs to be done to see the people right in this country (and elsewhere) but President Obama, the agent of change he says, apparently feels in thrall to the crooks that funded this crisis. So we have to do everything wrong and throw the last of our money after the lost funds that have already disappeared so that ultimately we will be...what? bankrupt.
.
I figured the stimulus would have to do something positive and apparently it has given the zombies a breather but it hasn't started us down the road to recovery. The fact that the dollar remains the world's reserve currency boggles my mind. How bad can the rest of the zombie planet be if they can see no better reserve than our failing currency? China has started to express some public doubts about the worth of US government bonds but they appear to have no choice but to swallow the toad and keep on buying them to sustain their over valued currency. This is a weird and unsustainable situation.
.
Life in the US continues on a normal path for those of us with jobs, electricity flows, television spews it's inanity, restaurants remain open and grocery shelves are stocked. Yet all this normality is under pinned by the unveiling of a catastrophe so gigantic it threatens all this normality. I still can't really grasp the possibility that an apocalyptic Mad Max future lies within our grasp. It's hard to picture my meaningless little life as a movie script out of all proportion to my daily and so far very pleasant routines. Yet such an outcome is not beyond the bounds of possibility.
.
I listen to my neighbors confidently predict what they will be doing in a year from now and this hollow feeling of doubt won't leave me. My wife has slowly decided it's worth humoring me in case my worst case scenario could come true so we quietly navigate the path to try to be prepared and open to the idea that normal life could change drastically. Unlike the survivalists in their fortress mentality ready to deal with the catastrophe I have enjoyed being a bourgeois middle class drone. I spent my youth being footloose, and I wanted a more settled middle age. Not to be it now seems quite likely. Even with the stock market trying to stage a rally of a whole 300 Dow Jones points, so little able to produce so much euphoria! That has to be a sign of worse to come.

No comments: